. Liz's Lair

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Real Life Geographer

Step count high for the trip was achieved today: 26,764. We did this
by walking around Bratislava, Slovakia for the first part of they day,
and Vienna, Austria for the other part.
There wasn't much in Bratislava that we couldn't see from our hotel
but we had a nice time in the older part of town. Kristy found the
book she collects, The Little Prince, in Slovakian in a bookstore with
almost no books. Shannon is the one that really found it.
The first picture is of a building in the old square, I don't know
what, I just liked the roof. The next picture is of the most Slovakian
dose our lunch restaurant had, gnocchi in soft sheep cheese with
sausage. It was a very strong cheese but overall pretty good.
After lunch we caught the bus to Vienna and had a bad first impression
because of the transportation system and signs. That impression was
quickly changed and we spent our time in the city walking around the
town center. We were able to see a few churches and managed some
window shopping as well.
The third picture is from outside a large church that was the location
for a film festival. They were broadcasting an orchestra concert to a
crowd of thousands. In the vicinity they had several food booths that
smelled amazing. It reminded me of Taste of Chicago.
The highlight of the night was being navigator for Shannon, Trevor,
and myself while Kristy and Ty were at a different concert. We walked
around the main attraction buildings and had a fabulous time. Using
the map made me feel like the last three years of my college education
haven't been in vain. I think most helpful may have been my class
called map use and interpretations.
My second souvenir from the trip is a mirror compact with Gustav
Klimt's 'The Kiss' on the front. It's one of my favorite paintings so
I'm glad my trinket will be useful. There has been a lot of Klimt work
made into souvenirs here. Without doing any research I'm guessing that
he was born or lived here.
The content of this post is factual but the order it was presented in
might be a little less accurate. But you get the idea.

No comments: