. Liz's Lair

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On a Midnight Train to Moscow

Step count: ? The pedometer wasn't on right. Probably around 23,000.
Our hotel was super swanky in the middle of the party. We woke up and
went to the spa in our matching robes. Breakfast was included and
better than the Grand America.
We had a driver and guide for half the day and it was awesome. The
guide spoke great English and was an encyclopedia of knowledge. We saw
lots of palaces and ended our tour at the Hermitage. The only painting
I knew to look forward to was The Return of the Prodigal Son by
Rembrandt. Thanks to Jo Ellen I knew a lot of background information
because of the book she sent me with the same title.
The rest of the day was spent walking around and looking at cool
stuff. The onion domes are at Church of the Spilled Blood. It
fulfilled all my Russian expectations.
Dinner wasn't nearly as good as breakfast so we ate a few times.
Subway was our final stop. Now we are sitting on our train waiting to
leave for Moscow. It's an 8 hour ride.
So far my impression of Russia is exceeding expectations. I'm much
less anxious than I was 24 hours ago. Every lady is wearing 4-6"
stilettos and short skirts. Smoking is very popular here. The age of
people smoking is a lot younger here in St Petersburg. I'm looking
forward to Moscow. Kristy says we'll love it or she'll make us. Nighty
night!

1 comment:

Jo Ellen/Toots said...

It was nice to see Katie in a photo. I hadn't seen her previously. Love your little face in the little nesting doll!